Those of you in need of a reliable eye pillow would know by now just how hard they are to come by, the quality ones at least. Intended to relieve stress and provide comfort throughout the night, these pillows aren’t always as smooth and comfortable as advertised, which is where a bit of market knowledge comes in handy.
Make your own eye pillows for traveling and relaxing in Savasana.
Materials You’ll Need (makes one eye pillow)
For the pillow
- 1/2 yard of fabric that has been washed, dried, and ironed.
- For the filling
- 1/2 cup dried beans or flax seeds.
- 1/2 cup dried rice, lentils, or buckwheat.
- 1/2 cup dried lavender or chamomile.
When selecting the filling consider the recipient’s scent preferences and any potential allergies. Mix together three or all of the above items. You’ll need 1 1/2 cups total.
Make the Pillow
Step 1: Cut the fabric
Using a ruler and pencil, mark two 4 1/2-by-10-inch rectangles on the wrong (nonprinted) side of the fabric. With a pair of scissors, cut along the marks to create the two panels needed for the pillow.
Step 2: Sew the seams
Place the two panels’ right (printed) sides together, with the raw edges aligned. Stitch a 1/2-inch seam around the raw edges, backstitching (sewing first in reverse, then forward over the same stitches) at each end. Leave one of the 4-inch sides open, so you can later add the filling. Stitch a 3/8-inch reinforcement seam around the raw edges, leaving the same 4-inch opening. This reinforcement will ensure that the mixture doesn’t leak out of the pillow after you’ve filled it.
With your scissors, cut two 1/4-inch notches in each seam allowance (the area between the stitching and the raw, cut edge of the fabric), one on either side of each of the four corners, making sure not to clip the stitching. Turn the eye pillow right side out for the next step.
It takes about 10 minutes to make an eye pillow and if a trip to the fabric store doesn’t sound relaxing, you can make them out of stuff you can find around the house.
Fill a soft plush eye mask with relaxing flaxseed and aromatic herbs. Cool it in the freezer or heat it in the microwave and enjoy!
What You Need:
- 3/8 yard knit-back fleece, such as minkee (this amount is enough to make eye pillows)
- Fine-point permanent marking pen
- Natural filler
Add a Natural Filler: Basic Mix
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup flaxseed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dried lavender buds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried peppermint leaves (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried rose petals (optional)
- 1 to 4 drops lavender oil (depending on desired strength of fragrance)
Add a Natural Filler: Custom Mix
- Sassy Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed, lavender buds, dried rose petals, dried peppermint leaves, and a few drops lavender oil
- Soothing Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed
- Calming Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed, lavender buds, dried peppermint leaves, and a few drops lavender oil
- Sleepytime Eye-Pillow Mix: flaxseed, lavender buds, dried chamomile leaves, dried rose petals, and a few drops lavender oil.